GSV 2018 Writing Prize
Our writing competition is on again! It is open to all GSV Members. We are very pleased to announce that Ancestry™ has very generously offered the ﬁrst prize : a 12 months subscription to their ‘UK Heritage plus’ option as the prize. The winning article will be published in the December 2018 issue.
Up to four accompanying images are desirable but are not part of the criteria. Images must be the author’s own, or have the owner’s permission to publish.
The article should:
- be between 1200 and 2400 words
- be the author’s own original work
- not have been previously published in any format
- have a family history / genealogy theme
- contain appropriate citations to documents and other works
The winning article will be that which, in the opinion of the judges, is the most interesting and well-written. The judges will be the Ancestor editorial group together with the President of the GSV. Their decision is final.
The Editorial group and GSV staff are not eligible to enter.
How to enter
Send your article as a Word document by email to email@example.com, or on disk to the front desk. Use a plain font, preferably Times New Roman, 12 point. Number your pages and include the title in a header. Do not include images with the text but send them in separate jpg or tiff files scanned at 300 dpi. Include the title of the article and a caption for each image. Do not put your name on the pages of the article, but include a separate cover page with your name and other details (see below).The closing date is 5.00 pm on 31 August 2018 and articles received after this time will not be considered. Hard copy will not be accepted. As disks will not be returned, please be sure to retain a copy.
Cover page should include:
- Author’s given name and surname
- Email address
- Telephone number
- GSV member number
- Title of article
- Word length
- Declaration that it is the author’s own original work and has not been previously published in any format.
- Captions for images supplied
- Declaration regarding the images – either the author’s own or by permission of whom they can be published.
- Permission to publish the article and the images in Ancestor
- Permission to publish the author’s email address
Guideline for Authors (Includes How to do referencing (citations))